Thursday, May 14, 2020

The worn out woman.. the last chapter

went I opened my book this morning to read, i didn't realize i was reading the last chapter.

*sigh.

I will be reading this book again. :)
But I do want to leave you with some notes on this chapter, because it's just awesome. :)

as per usual, I will also be intertwining some of my own notes and thoughts.
I HIGHLY recommend this book, The Worn Out Woman (when your life is full and your spirit is empty)- Dr Steve Stephens and Alice Gray
https://www.amazon.com/Worn-Out-Woman-Spirit-Empty-ebook/dp/B001PSEQ6A/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1IK2VFEH88G4Y&dchild=1&keywords=the+worn+out+woman&qid=1589498452&sprefix=the+worn+out+woman%2Caps%2C1138&sr=8-1
-----------------

"Whenever Tami gets worn out, overloaded, or just needs a breath of fresh air, she retreats to the well-tended beauty of our backyard. She says that a few minutes surrounded by plants, flowers, and trees give her the boost she needs to make it through the rest of the day."

I totally get this. Stepping outside into the fresh air and being in nature is the best remedy sometimes.

"Beauty is a very dependable antidote to stress and weariness. We say that with all seriousness.

This reminds me, as well, about how, when I decide to put on a little makeup or my daughter does her hair and wears something she likes.. these things make us feel fresh and rejuvenated.

"We need beauty to pull us above the difficulties and drudgery of everyday existence."

When we slow down and see beautiful things, they give us joy and positive energy.
For example, earlier today, I got up from sitting by my youngest daughter in the alcove and looked out the window.. I love the view from the alcove toward the field and trees.. and I saw white lilacs! Right by the window! ready to pop open! I exclaimed so loud and gleefully, my kids and my husband all came running and I was like "look! the flowers! they're ready to bloom!" and they were like.. oh. that's what i jumped up for? lol. :)

Everyone will have a different view of what beauty is.

" 'so many look, but so few see.' Opening your eyes to what is lovely around you is a very practical way to reduce your weariness. Try to see with your spirit and let beauty touch your heart. Absorb it and let it soothe away your tension. Let it slow you down and soften the rough edges of your life. Beauty brings peace and pleasure. The longer you enjoy it, the less worn out you will feel."

Before I got up and saw the flowers, I had our youngest cat curled in my lap, snuggling him, and I just curled my arms around him, petting and kissing his head. It was so peaceful. Sometimes I feel bad for sitting and doing these things, when in reality, this is what's important and I should do more of.
There's beauty in nature.
I could spend all day doing these things, be fulfilled, but still feel like I should be more productive. Like i need to do something visually and physically that I can check off a list.

"God's awesome imagination is written all over nature."
So much!

This part is written so beautifully, I have to share;
".., spring brings green buds to the trees, music of birds to the air, and warm showers that invite bright flowers to blossom. Beneath the clear summer skies, fruit ripens to delicious perfection. Cool autumn evenings leave their frosty touch on the pumpkins, and the trees blaze bright in a burst of glory. Then days grow shorter and colder as leaves fall, clouds conceal the sun, and the earth begins her winter rest under a silent cloak of snow."
Man, that's beautiful. Poetry.

"Art in its purest sense is an attempt to duplicate or describe some aspect of God's creation."
Wow, I love this statement.
"In whatever form, artistic beauty lifts you above the ordinary and provides a break from the hectic."

"While we are considering art, it's worth noting that the act of creating it can be as soothing or uplifting as the act of enjoying."

Okay, Mic drop statement coming up.
"Being made in God's image means we were made to create beauty, and many women have found that artistic pursuits can be fulfilling, uplifting, and therapeutic."

Duuuuudddeee. Yes.
We are made in the image of God, the creator.. we are to create as well.. His life force, his energy, his paint brush.. flows through us.
"All of these women have discovered that their quest to create beauty not only enriches their lives, but also makes them feel years younger."

It's true!
When we tap into our creative streaks.. we feel revitalized.. a youthful spark.
ESPECIALLY if we tap into something we used to love, and feel that joy returning. That childish joy.

Go outside- just a daily walk (yard, park, down the street)
Bring natural beauty into your home with flowers and greenery- houseplant, dandelion, or bouquet.
If you live somewhere you don't think is beautiful, maybe you need to refocus. Ask God for help!
Schedule an afternoon of browsing a bookstore with a togo cup of tea or coffee.
Is there something creative you used to do? Tap into it and make time for it.
*I have been coloring, doing crosswords, and using nail polish to paint a plain matryoshka doll I bought off Amazon. And I've gotten back into reading.
Buy or sew a throw pillow that you can cuddle up to that delights your sense of touch.
* for me it's cats, or a fluffy pink pillow I have with a vibration/massager unit inside it.

www.thewornoutwoman.com

There's also a section in the back that you can use as a study or questionnaire in a friends group. I might use that at a later time.

No comments: