Friday, May 29, 2020

affirmation VERSUS reassurance: the difference



Affirmation is something you learn to speak into your own life.
Things that help you walk through on your own.
I am strong.
I am a great mom.
This and that are good about me.
Speaking positivity into your own life.
Which is important!
You need to know your own worth, and being able to say these things out loud and believe what you're saying to yourself is powerful!
Words of affirmation from other people looks something like "you do such a good job at that!"
"i appreciate that you've been doing all the dishes lately"
"it makes things easier for me knowing that you're taking care of the kids"
"you're fantastic at communicating with people. i'm not, and that's helpful to me."

Reassurance is when other people tell us something that is good that they notice.
When I think about how hard being a mom is right now, someone can reassure me by telling me "you're doing a great job!", "you are keeping them fed and clothed and making sure they get rest! you're rocking it!".
When I break a nail.. reassuring me that it will grow back and i'm great at taking care of them, even if it sucks in this moment. :)
When my husband thinks he doesn't do enough for our family.. "you work so hard for us. you put in hours a day at your paying job, you keep up with cleaning and mowing the yard, you take time every Friday night to pour joy into us by making popcorn and watching a movie, you make sure we sit down as a family every other week to talk.. you're amazing."
Telling someone they were noticed when they put the cart back in the parking lot.
Saying that a choice of clothing or makeup was a good choice.
Reminding someone that you appreciate that they remembered to take out the trash and did it.

No comments: