Wednesday, May 27, 2020

foraging versus buying in the store



I have been learning more about plants and fungus lately, and I decided to try to forage my own mushrooms today.

I grabbed an empty ice cream bucket, tucked my dress into my SI belt, and went to it. I found some in my backyard, found out most of it i can't eat, so i just kept the one i could.

A little bit later, I went across the field into the woods and found some fairly LARGE pieces, and they are now drying on a towel on top of my washer.

I found it odd when I was chopping them off the trees and digging them up.. I thought it was gross and dirty.. but i'll buy them at the store and eat them just fine.
Goodness what times we live in.. where picking our own plants and fungus in the back yard seems gross, but we'll buy it from the store and put it in our mouths, no questions asked.

Even if I never forage mushrooms again, it's been interesting feeling and experiencing these things. And finding out what's edible and what's not.


No comments: