Sunday, March 29, 2020

Maturing as an Autistic

"Friendly reminder that the reason why autistics seem "very mature" as kids and "too childish" as adults is that their interests don't' follow society's expectations of interests appropriate to their age OR the interest of their peers. "

"I've always wondered why I pretty much matured in reverse. This makes so much sense. "

"This is why it was weird for me to carry around encyclopedias and academic textbooks about the things that fascinated me, to read for fun, when I was little, and why it's still weird now. "



This was always the way I was as a kid.. books were my favorite friends. And I had a collection of them at home that I barely ever added to. I liked to read them over and over and over.

Adults always used to say how mature I was, how I seemed older and wiser than other kids.

But now as an adult, I don't feel like an adult.
I feel very naive and irresponsible.
I don't understand most of the things that I'm supposed to, sometimes people as why I don't know about something that seems like it would be common knowledge.

No comments: