Tuesday, November 26, 2019

why does this "confidence" bother me so much?

I've noticed this about myself in recent years, 
it bothers me when someone says something positive about themselves out loud. 
I feel like it's cocky,
or I feel like it's not humble. 

I actually tried it once around my husband, 
I said "you're wife is awesome" using third-party confidence, 
and he said "does she know that?"
and I stopped.. because I didn't expect that response, and I didn't know what to say. 

It's irritating to me that I think of positive verbal self-confirmation
as cocky and irritating, instead of mature and confident. 

I had a thought come up that maybe it's because of my low self-confidence,
but I'm not sure that's what it is. 

I have a feeling it's because growing up,
I always thought my outward appearance should be one of humility
and to only let other people verbally praise me,
and never to verbally praise myself. 
But i'm thinking that that's "stinking thinking"
because now I have a relationship with myself that
doesn't allow myself enough personal value. 

I constantly downplay my worth
And when someone affirms me by saying how much I do
and how important what I do is
I have a hard time accepting those comments
because maybe part of me doesn't believe them. 

So when my husband says "it's because i'm awesome"
or something of the sort
I cringe, because I feel like it's a lack of humility
which I know is untrue.

No comments: