Saturday, July 18, 2020

what is being grown up?

what is it supposed to be like.. being an adult?
being someone who is in charge?

why should other people take us seriously?

being grown up - when does it happen?
you turn 18 and you.. graduate high school. find some place to work to pay for things you need and want.
you are able to sign your name on a paper that tells you you have a place to live or a vehicle to drive.
you are able to vote.. able to tell people who you think should be in charge of ALL of the adults.
but.. is this being grown up?

you turn 21 and you.. are able to have an alcoholic drink.


but what does it mean to be grown up?

am i really responsible enough to buy my own vacuum? what features should it have? i don't know.

am i really in charge of doing something someone tells me to do, and they give me money? what's the big deal about having a job anyway?
and what if I BECOME the boss at the place I work. oh my gosh. that means i'm in charge of other people..
does that make me grown up?

i get to buy something on the computer through a website that takes information that i give it off the back of a plastic card, and i trade the numbers in the bank account for something that i wear.

does that make me grown up?

or maybe when i have to choose between apples and oranges.. and noodles.. and hot dogs.. and..
filling the fridge and the cupboards with someone i can eat.

maybe when i make the choice to add another person or an animal to my home.

i think these things are supposed to be adult choices.
but i don't feel like an adult.

but this is called adulting.
*shrugs.
c'est la vie.

No comments: