Thursday, August 8, 2019

teenage trauma - acne or pimples?

So I’ve noticed in the last few months since my rheumatologist did bloodwork and recommended I do DHEA spray under my tongue every night to level out my hormones, the acne on my chest, on my back, on my face have all gone away. It’s helped my libido which is great, so therefore it’s helped my confidence. i've also noticed that when i DO get a "pimple", more likely than not, it's actually a harder calcified substance that comes out instead of the regular pussy white that's in a pimple. this is because of EDS.

This also reminds me and makes me think of when I was growing up and my dad would make fun of my pimples and point them out and say "what’s that on your face?", with an annoying grin, thinking he was so clever, like it was funny or a good thing to point it out to me. (like i didn't know, as a teenage girl, that i had pimples on my face.) It would’ve been nice to know back then that I had a hormone in balance, so that could be taken care of so he didn’t keep doing it.

Even now, my husband is fascinated sometimes that because of the way my skin heals, that i constantly have some form of scar or mark left by the pimples or dry skin patches. I know my husband doesn't mention it to be obnoxious or to be harmful, but i know my dad knew better. maybe he was trying to make light of it? all i know is it was harmful to my emotional and mental health. so much so that to this day, it still invades my mind to some degree.

also at that time, i would pick at them, like i still do pick at things. but now i know why i pick.. it's because of my autistic tendencies, it's part of my stimming and also part of self-mutilation. i didn't realize that part of being autistic and chronically sick is the fact that i feel things a lot differently than other people, as in, i really don't feel very often. so that is part of self-mutilation, it causes us to feel pain and emotion, which we don't normally have any control over. 

No comments: