Monday, July 1, 2019

Memorizing Jesus- "Love Does" by Bob Goff

I'm going to share with you a few excerpts from this book that I just finished, and will totally read over again. I encourage you go get this book for yourself, it's totally worth it.

"I used to think I could learn about Jesus by studying Him,
but now I know Jesus doesn't want stalkers.

What I realized about my faith is that I was doing just that, collecting information and memorizing things about God, purchasing artifacts and bumper stickers about Christianity, and I talked about knowing Jesus like we were best friends, when actually, we really hardly knew each other at all.

It didn't intersect my life; it just bounced up against my life on Wednesdays.
What's up with equating 'Bible Study' with knowing God anyway? Wouldn't it be a horrible thing if we studied the ones we loved instead of bonding in deeper ways by doing things with them?

The truth is, until I've experienced something personally, I usually don't remember it.

We need to make our faith our very own love story."

The thought behind this is amazing. Instead of sitting somewhere for hours on end, pouring over pages and pages of information and memorizing it and not feeling any connection to it.. basically treating it like homework, we need to interact with it to know it. When we study for tests, unless it's something that's interesting to us and we want to know more about it on a personal level, we forget what we just "learned" right after we take the test, and hope we had absorbed enough information from studying to know the right answers to the questions. When something is personal, we learn things without even trying, and we keep the information inside because it's something we care to know.

No comments: