Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Pain meds

So there is this stigma around pain meds. 

addictions, assumed addictions, "you don't need that".. 

And there are people with chronic illness, hidden illnesses, that if they don't have certain medications, the quality of their lives is drastically minimized. 

I think it's sad that some medications are out of the grasp of people who need them. 
They are living a life of pain nobody else can fathom and are made to jump through more hoops and more regulations just to get what they need to survive. 

Sometimes this last weekend I had to take pain meds every day, multiple times. 

The fact that the media shames people for taking medication and in turn, unfortunately, sometimes it makes us feel bad for medication, so we shame ourselves. 
And that is really screwed up. 

I did a lot this weekend with my family, I was very active, I made food choices that I wouldn't normally make, because I was like you know what, this is what we're doing, I'm going to be part of it. I'm going to eat something I know my body is not going to be happy with, but it's worth it. Because sometimes it is worth it, and i'm not going to make myself feel bad for participating in something that I want to feel like i'm part of. You know what, i'm not going to shame myself for taking pain meds. I had to take my Ibuprofen 800 two times on Saturday, probably two times on Sunday and already took one today, and it's almost noon, and that's because of all the activity and the foods that i've eaten this weekend. And I am not going to tell myself that that was a bad choice, because it wasn't. 

I myself have 13 meds I take on a daily basis, and 5 meds as needed, for asthma, migraines, nausea and pain. 

I'm 36 years old and this is my life. 

#stigma #painmeds 
#becareful

No comments: