Saturday, May 28, 2022

when I say “it’s because I’m autistic“ what I mean is..

 I'm trying to say something but it's not coming out right, or my brain is working to come up with a certain word and it's not forming and I'm frustrated. I feel the need to explain myself.. even if the need isn't for you, it's for me, I might tell you "I'm having a hard time because I'm autistic". 

I may look like I'm doing something that looks weird to you and I can tell it might not be a normal or socially acceptable thing.. and I didn't realize this before I did it, I just did it because to me, it's normal. "It's because I'm autistic." 

I might be stimming in public and you don't know why I'm making a certain movement or being giggly like a child, or getting excited over something you dub ridiculous or superficial. "It's because I'm autistic."

I say it because I feel like you need an explanation, or I need to explain because I probably look odd and you look quizzical. 

Autism is not an excuse. It's an explanation. :) It's a reason. It's a lifestyle that doesn't look like yours. It's different and, believe it or not, it's complementary to the rest of the world, because it keeps up a little bit younger and more expressive and holds so many different views from the norm. 

Understand us instead of ignoring or walking away from us. Accept us instead of calling us weirdos. We don't need rejection, we need you to be open to other possibilities. 

Don't be embarrassed by us, be proud of us. 

No comments: