Monday, May 30, 2022

did I just jinx myself?

when I was peeling egg shells off my boiled eggs, my husband was in the kitchen and I said out loud "wow! that shell came off so well!" and in past experience, a lot of times when I say things like that and the next one comes off crappy, there's something inside me that says "darn, must've jinxed it". 

So weird for a Bible believer to say or think that.. right? 
Or is that just something that is strange to me and nobody else?

I find it odd that we do things, like "knock on wood" and saying "good luck".. we don't even think about it. 
But are these things wrong to say? 
Do they come from a sinful place? 
What are the origins of these words and do they matter today? 

Definitely something I'm going to search up, because for me, once I'm curious about something, I generally have to do something about it until my curiosity is satiated. lol. Autism trait ;) it's something I love about myself and hate about myself at the same time. HA! 

pinch poke, you owe me a coke.. jinx!!
----------------
adding on.. just found out, apparently knocking on wood can undo a jinx. 

and jinxing someone is giving them bad luck. 
so.. witchcraft? 

"good luck" is about tempting fate.. 
so if you believe in fate, you need luck to overcome the bad outcome to get a good outcome. 
and cross your fingers, hoping it works. 

www.irishcentral.com
The word "luck" itself is Middle Dutch in origin, according to Mental Floss. The word comes from 'luc,' a shortening of 'gheluc,' meaning “happiness, good fortune.” The word was probably introduced into the English language in the 15th century as a gambling term.

and you throw salt over your shoulder to keep evil spirits from entering the place you're in. 


No comments: