Sunday, March 27, 2022

personal experience needed - my Autistic life

This one is actually a fairly easy one to explain. I'm not sure if it's easy to understand, but I'll do my best to get you there.  

So, basically, unless something actually happens to me, affects me personally, I really don't connect with it. 

Example: September 11, 2000. New York, twin towers, terrorism.. it doesn't affect me. I know that sounds terrible to say, but.. yeah, I know where I was, I thought I was watching a movie. It was on the TV in the college dorm, and people were talking about it throughout campus. I even have family in that area of the country, and I found out through my parents that everyone was ok. Even in 2006 when my husband and I took a trip to NY with my parents and we visited "ground zero" and peeked through the gated area to see them working to clear ground to rebuild, and saw the photos and memorial that was up at the time. We bought a little souvenir book of postcards/photos.. but it just doesn't have a personal effect on me. 

This is the same as I mentioned in a previous post, trying to be in someone else's shoes. They just don't fit. It doesn't happen. 

Right now, there's a war going on between Russia and Ukraine, Vladimir Putin invaded/started a war. And I have no idea how to respond to that. I could say something like "I have no idea how they feel, it's terrible!", which is true. I wouldn't have a clue what to do in that situation and I have no mental connection to it. It isn't happening to me. 

This may sound cold or mean, but it's just how my brain works. Until/unless something creates the need for personal interaction or response, or changes something in my life..  there's just nothing.

No comments: