Friday, February 12, 2021

being "in order" - an Autistics point of view.

schedule (a plan for carrying out a process or procedure.. putting things in time slots in a calendar, day to day plans or time table) vs
flexibility (the ability to be easily modified, willingness to change or compromise, bending easily without breaking) vs 
sequences (a particular order in which related activities, events, movements or things follow each other.)

Autistic people are not very good (speaking for myself) at being flexible with things that are planned. Some times we can change the sequence, but we have to have ample time to do so, because it’s not just the order we have it on the paper (yes, we like to write things down, generally, instead of just moving things around in a digital way). Sometimes it’s multiple avenues, like I change things in my digital calendar before I write it down, or I’ll look at the days before and ahead before I move it, because I have to visualize the sequence changing, and know that my mind will have to adjust with it.



No comments: