Monday, August 8, 2022

Because I'm autistic.

I take pictures of things everywhere I go… Because I’m autistic. 
I may do things that you don’t approve of or think of as unacceptable… Because I’m autistic. 
I buy things when I go places that I want to remember… Because I’m autistic. 
I won’t remember things you remember, or at least not in the same way… Because I'm autistic. 
I like to touch things to process through sensory input… Because I’m autistic. 
I need quiet and a journal to process… Because I autistic. 
I need familiar tastes and flavors even though I like to experiment… Because I'm autistic. 
I need to be able to relax and find peace, I just can’t keep on the go all the time. Because I'm autistic.
I can't continue throughout a whole day without finding down times to ground myself in reality, because everything around me feels like a constantly moving bubble echoing and resonating with everything and everyone but me. 

And yes you might find yourself relating to one or two of these things and say out loud… Oh I deal with that too, that’s not an autism thing. Yes it is. Just because you deal with one or two of these things does not mean that my experience is not my experience. And it does not mean that I am not on a spectrum or that I am not unique or different. It just means that you can relate to one or two things that I go through. 

I mask and I try to relate to other people and fit in with society… Because I’m autistic. 

No comments: