Friday, December 7, 2018

fad diets vs people who have to eat that way

I was attending a catered meal for ladies at church and we somehow got on the topic of food. I think maybe my sister mentioned my plate, which only had a couple things on it, no bread, no dessert, no punch, no croutons, no breaded chicken.. and the topic of gluten free came up.
(unfortunately, ranch dressing has dairy AND gluten in it, but not enough to bother me too much. it did give me gas, which i swallowed a gas pill and i don't think it helped)

The girls she brought with her said "oh you're gluten free right now? I tried that once, that was too hard, I couldn't do it?"

It made me wonder about the difference between people who use things like "gluten free" and "detox" and "no sugar" diets as fads.

Then there are the people like me who have to eat that way every day, who don't get a choice because if we eat the wrong thing, our bodies pay for it with pain.. bloating, inflammation, diarrhea or conspitation, sometimes migraines or chest pain.

...................
It's definitely been a journey to change so much about how I grocery shop and how I cook, figuring out what hurts me and what doesn't.

Now when I go out to eat with someone, I just have to be a lucky picky in what I order.

Went to 5 Guys Burgers and Fries with my husband earlier this week, and I ordered a small bacon burger with no cheese and no bun. They asked if it was preference or allergy, i said "allergy" the first time ever. That felt strange but cool. I was in control and they respected that. So i got lettuce wrap. And it was delicious.

No comments: