Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Expectations.. but which ones?


 I ran across this in an email lately, and it stopped me. I'm generally someone who thinks things through a lot and ruminates (for lack of a better word) so I can understand to the best of my ability before I move on. I try my best to connect things to the dots of my life so I can grasp them in a personal way. Otherwise, I tend to lose what I just read and move on with my day and none of it sticks. 

When it comes to a topic like expectations... I've dealt with this hugely my entire life. Whether it's other people expecting such and such from me, or me learning to expect such and such from myself, or not expecting enough in a given situation... I've learned quite a bit to internalize the action of not having expectations because the act of anticipating or predicting and then having that not met has always thrown some type of negative bend on where I'm headed or what I'm going through.. because "expectations" are a trauma trigger for me. This is also why I don't like to try and guess things or be surprised by anything that could lend fear or hurt to my insides.

So how do we decide or learn to have GOOD expectations? or positive vs negative.. or just OPEN expectations? Is this possible? 

I will most likely struggle with the concept of expectations my entire life.

No comments: